[pct-l] Highlights of the Socal PCT? Best 2 day segments?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Oct 18 19:32:01 CDT 2011

I would recommend for you getting some books. Perhaps the good old
Wilderness Press Guidebook which you can buy at the PCTA.org store.
The guide books are good because there is a lot of detail about
permits and things you will need. Another good one would be Day Hikes
on the PCT (not sure the exact title.) Since you are limited in time,
this book will tell you places you can park your car. Thru-hikers
have no idea of that and the Wilderness Press books assume you're
doing whole big sections at a time.

Another resource you might find helpful is Asabat's water report.
http://www.4jeffrey.net/pct/. Although the information may not be
always up-to-date if you hike in the off-season, you'll at least get
some tips on HOW to find some of the water. It's not always right on
the trail.

You might also want to get Halfmile's maps. They are free but you
have to print them yourself.
http://www.pctmap.net/. They make estimating your distance really
easy because there's a dot every half mile and lots of stuff is labeled.

I wish I could recommend some good two-day trips but my mileage is
much greater than yours so it would be hard for me to estimate
something that is doable for you.

Diane