[pct-l] Fw: Where do you put it?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 21:30:27 CDT 2011

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com>
To: Timothy Nye <timpnye at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:51 PM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Where do you put it?

Hi Timothy,
I think that you have been lucky so far - sleeping that close to your food. If you are in bear country there is risk of a visit  I would only consider doing that if the food was in a OpSak.  There were a few times, when it was rainy, when did just that.- cooked breakfast with my Jetboil canister stove inside the vestibule of my tent.  But the food was always stored in an OpSak.  My first real problem with rodents was when they got into my food cache about one-half mile north of Beldon Town.  I had driven ahead and cached under about a foot of leaves in a gully more than a week before.  When I arrived I discovered that ALL 30+ pounds of processed horse feed was gone. It had been stored in Food Saver bags. I had stored my resupply food in OpSaks right next to the horse feed.  My food was still there, including two cans of V8 juice. The Ranger there that I talked to said that it was the work of rodents. After that lesson I also stored the horse
 feed in OpSaks and had no problems - all the way to Monument 78.

You mentioned Swiss Miss.  My favorite hot drink on the PCT was a two packets of Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate Sensation with lots of Nido powdered whole milk added.  That drink is over 350 calories.
MendoRider