[pct-l] Weight Loss, Anorexia, and Sore Feet?

Derek Fohs derekfohs at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 15:09:41 CDT 2011

I used a pair of those barefoot like Vibram Five-Finger shoes on my section hike last year. It was Section A and I was weighed down with a lot of water. My feet were killing me on day two. Ankles were totally fine, but my pads and toes under the knuckle hurt. By day 6 my pack was lighter, I was moving downhill, and my feet were feeling better but it took a couple of weeks for them to recover.

This was only 6 days. I figure my feet weren't conditioned enough for barefoot style hiking. I would think that a thru hiker's feet would get conditioned on the trail. Maybe they do to a point and then start to degenerate with weight loss.