[pct-l] camera for thru hiking

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Mon Oct 10 14:16:23 CDT 2011

David:

I carry a Nikon Coolpix L5 in a case that is slung around my shoulder as
I hike for ease of access. I have had this camera since 2007. I have
done 1500 miles of the PCT and just finished thru hiking the Colorado
Trail. The camera has performed great--it doesn't need coddling. If it
starts to rain steadily I put it in a ziplock in my backpack. It is a
regular, not heavy duty camera, and it has stood up to thousands of
miles of backpacking. It uses 2 AA's--I carry 2 extra AA's, but in
several summers of use I have only used the extras one time in Hawaii
where I took a lot of video. I use rechargeable batteries and ship a
battery charger in my bounce box. I have a 2 gig chip in the camera and
did not run out of memory over the entire 485 miles of the Colorado
Trail--I took about 750 pictures and about a dozen short videos. I do
carry a chip back up, but think this could be achieved by shipping one
in your bounce box. I also put the camera cable in my bounce box so I
can post pics on the web on zero days, using library computers in towns
along the way. People that I know who have to use specialty camera
batteries can't easily get replacements or additions along the way--AA
batteries are universal.

The only drawback is when camera is exposed to temperatures near
freezing, the camera lens won't extend--from the usual cold battery
problems. I just put it inside my shirt or sleeping bag to stop this
from happening.

I only use a GPS for checking location and marking my camps--so I turn
it on about 3-4 times a day. It is a Garmin Etrex Vista HcX and uses 2
AA batteries. I don't carry any extra batteries for it--it has never run
out of power between zero days because I don't have it on all the time.
I don't need to have a track log of where I've been unless I go cross
country. I also use rechargeable batteries for it.

--Fireweed