[pct-l] camera for thru-hiking

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Mon Oct 10 09:45:43 CDT 2011

I have this camera--it is generally good, it has excellent image stabilization and video-shooting capabilities, and the zoom range is very flexible.  I wouldn't be concerned about the ruggedness, although I did have a previous, similar model that started to not want to extent/react the lens or open/close the lens cap, probably due to dust and exposure.  As for power, the proprietary batteries are small, light, and are good for several days of use, but unfortunately, Panasonic makes it hard for other companies to make compatible units, so you have to get their batteries, which are more expensive than the generic knock-offs...

The GPS is mostly useless: it takes awhile to get a fix, so you either keep the GPS on (even when the camera is off) which kills the battery, or you wait for a GPS fix before every shot (not consistent with taking quick snapshots while pounding long miles...). I would still consider the camera, just not because of the GPS.