[pct-l] tarps and short trips - in Michigan

nina white nina.white at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 14:43:40 CDT 2011

I'm looking to convert to a tarp, but have no experience with them
whatsoever. I ordered some silnylon to try making my own Brawny-style flat
tarp.

Is there anyone on this list from Southeast Michigan with a tarp or tarp
experience? I'd love to get some first-hand advice setting it up properly.
(Or, for that matter, in Southwestern Michigan, as I have family in Grand
Rapids I could visit.)

Also, is there anyone in Southeast Michigan (or actually anywhere in the
lower peninsula) who might like to do some 3-4 day moderate- to long-mileage
extended weekend trips before it gets too cold? I want to try out different
rain and sleep gear and get some miles in. I haven't done much backpacking
in Michigan, so don't even know what's "close" by. I'm available the
weekends of 10/21, 11/4, and 11/11.

I realize this may be the wrong list for this. Maybe hikers in Michigan tend
towards the AT....

Nina