[pct-l] From a Newbie

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Sat Oct 8 14:40:56 CDT 2011

We are experiencing the late thru's here in Washington getting off the trail
because of the full time rain or mist and the cool day and night temps.
Their clothes, sleeping bags and tents are constantly wet and cold. 2 got
hauled off at Harts Pass suffering from hypothermia. This is one of the down
sides of Fall and Winter hiking in the North Cascades.

Snow level varies from year to year. We had 2 years in a row where the deep
snow on the trail at Snoqualmie and Steven's Passes stopped hikers by
September 25th. This year there is none to speak of. Remember that the snow
sensors are usually not on the high points of the trail areas.  Steven's for
example....the sensor is at 4010 ft.  From the trail head at 4010 ft you
immediately go up to 5,800 ft.

When you're doing the North Cascades check with the locals every chance you
get. They know what's going on in the mountains.

PCT MOM