[pct-l] Long distance hikers and $

Charles Doersch charles.doersch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 11:30:54 CDT 2011

Great reflection, Shroomer. Take time instead of money. Yay! When we lived
in Australia we noticed that tendency among the Aussies we worked with. When
given the choice between a raise or more time off, they tended to choose
time off. Americans apparently have a marked tendency to take the money.

It's why I work as a professor. The pay ain't great, but time! I have a
total of four months off a year. Delicious.

I was hoping to see you, Shroomer, on the PCT next year (we could compare
notes on mycologizing) -- but I look forward to reading your posts from the
CDT. We have that on our radar for after the PCT. Kick ass, man. I'm glad to
hear you're running the ridges at 60 -- bravo -- it means I don't have any
excuse at 54 (I'm trail running, too -- but ridge running! Yikes. I gotta
slim down even more for that).

I'm looking forward to seeing Toga, Sue, and the many others next year I'm
meeting through this fab listserv. I'm going to have to break some rules at
the university for us to be able to make the ADZPCTKO -- we had thought we'd
just step onto the trail around May 2, and not worry about the kick off --
but I do keep hearing that attending can be an important part of the
experience. Also, we'd get to meet many people who would not be hiking, but
have hiked, and are contributors to this listserv -- folks I've come to
admire and value the advice from.

We'll see what improbabilities I can work.

Cheers,

Charles Doersch