[pct-l] how do long distance hikers make a living?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Oct 6 20:11:58 CDT 2011

I am 46 now. I did my first section (1200 miles) in 2008. I did my
second section (1800 miles) in 2009. I quit my job and stayed
underemployed while I did this. I was able to do this because I spent
less than I made and had saved up a couple years of salary. So I quit.

In our culture of way too much working, you really cannot do a lot of
traveling and adventure without sacrificing your job. You can get
away with it once, but you can't make a lifestyle out of it. To make
a lifestyle of it you have to choose fungible jobs. Waiting tables,
working in gear shops, seasonal work. You have to stay out of debt
and other commitments, too.

I work in web development. Right now I get 3 weeks of vacation a
year. It's not enough to do any long distance hiking. But I'm saving
my money again. Meanwhile I can tack on days to holidays to make for
longer weekends that I can do shorter trips.

There are no things you can own that are better than owning your time.