[pct-l] yogis book

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 10:56:09 CDT 2011

There's a lot more to the PCT than just the route and the towns that you will visit as a hiker.  There is the incredible beauty - the plants, animals, and geology that is, to me, by far the most important part of the experience.  The Natural History.  I recommend that you also bring the pertinent pages from the Wilderness Press books to help you better appreciate what you can see as you hike. As a rider, on a horse, I saw a lot more of the scenery than I ever did when I was a hiker.  As a hiker, especially if you are going fast to make those miles ( I'm thinking of one-year thru"s) you must spend a lot of time just looking at the trail so you don't trip. My horse, Primo, watched the trail leaving me free to look in all directions and even check out pages of the WP book for descriptions of what I was passing through.  I mostly lived on the trail and never visited towns if I could avoid them.  They were a distraction. I drove ahead and
 cached my resupplies well off the trail or near road crossings - always very well camouflaged.  And, after recovering them as I rode north, I re-camouflaged the cache location.  Leave no trace. So, I suggest that you bring pages from Yogi's book, Halfmile's maps, and pages from the WP guides.

.