[pct-l] biography of John Muir

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 18:33:38 CST 2011

Hi Tanya,

After doing the John Muir Trail in 1956 I began reading all of his published writings. I 1960 my wife and I visited the Bancroft Library at U.C. Berkeley to read many of his unpublished writings. There is more in the Sierra Club archives.  We visited his home in Martinez and, in 1963, were in Dunbar, Scotland hoping to also visit the home where he was born. That was a dead- end. There was no monument and no one that we could find knew where he was born. Since then, there have been many Sierra Club Members and others asking about him. Schroomer tells me that they have now identified the house and tourists can visit his birthplace.

A single book that I can highly recommend to you that is available from Amazon is "The Wilderness World of John Muir" by Edwin Wat Teale. It is a wonderful collection of the wonderful writings of John Muir beginning with his story of his Boyhood in Scotland. You will find that it includes about 50 writings by Muir that follow his life story. It was published in the mid-fifties and I have had my copy since then.

I'm sure Schroomer will urge you to visit the John Muir Home near where he lives in Martinez.  At the last PCT Kickoff Party at Lake Morina Schroomer brought John Muir water, John Muir dirt, and John Muir Wine.

MendoRider