[pct-l] History of Backpacking

Hootie Martin hootie2006 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 16:25:22 CST 2011

ChiefCowboy writes:
Perhaps it is time to take another look at whether these posts are
appropriate or not.  We, in the normal course of discussion, find ourselves
in enough minor conflicts of opinion as to whether to filter or not, to
carry a stove or not, etc. that we certainly don't need to post anything
that could be considered a personal attack on an individual's beliefs.  At
times the exchanges appear to be between two individuals only and with out
relevance to the others reading (or lurking) the list so it might be more
appropriate to take their private discussions to another format - ie
personal e-mail.

I know that Brick doesn't want this to become a political forum and allows
certain amount of dissention  between posters, but there comes a point when
one must ask "What does this really have to do with the PCT, the PCTA,
hiking. etc.

Chief, I wholeheartedly agree with you and others that have responded
already.  I recall raising these same concerns years ago as it seems that
often Switchback and JMTRhino post simply to see their words in print.

It seems to me that both of these guys are lonely old men that would rather
use the forum as a chat board for their giggles rather than for sharing
information that would be pertinent to the majority of the forum audience.

For years we have been subjected to the same old stuff from these guys.  I
can understand that our moderator may not enjoy the effort that moderated
status places on the list admin, but, with the number of complaints I see
finally being raised, it would seem appropriate to finally take a stand
with these guys.

It may be difficut but I can live without another after-action report of a
overnight car-camping trip from Switchback or the sexist rambling of
JMTRhino, but hey, I game to give it a try!

Elevator - PCT2006