[pct-l] 2013 Record PCT Hike

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Nov 23 00:43:36 CST 2011

JMT Super Senior Reinhold writes: I am glad to see that you have decided to take my advice and do your record attempt "My Way...the JMT Reinhold Cleopatra Way"  the one and only absolute correct way to thru the PCT.  Remember you will need 4 big sturdy float carriers, 2 fan girls and a trumped blower.  The 8 of you, I assume, will be you, Big Hummel, AsABat, Deems, Monte Dodge, Donna, Yogi and Meadow Ed.  I assume Big Hummel, AsABat, Deems and Monte Dodge will be your float carriers, Donna and Yogi will be your fan girls and Meadow Ed will be the trumped blower.

Switchback replies: Yes, it is true these are my pals and would normally be welcomed on any hike.  But the 2013 hike is not a normal hike.  It is a record breaker.  It is a historic first.  It is a hike that will live in the lore and campfire story-telling for many decades to come.  It takes the kind of hikers who will say at the end of a 40-mile day, "Hey, why are we stopping so soon?  We can go on headlamps and do another 10."  I have a secret weapon for my part.  I will have artificial knees.  I will be bionic.  I will be a machine.  I will be a Trail Terminator.  I will morph into Super Hiker at anytime and others will instinctively kowtow at my presence.