[pct-l] PCTA rating by CharityNavigator

Shian Sung shian.sung at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 15:13:24 CST 2011

re: Ned,

Not necessarily TARP, but the economic stimulus package that was put
into place by the government included a huge infusion of grants to a
lot of conservation organizations, the USFS, etc. Some significant (at
least for an organization like the PCTA) funds were allocated to the
PCTA. This has been used to presumably flesh out their regional
representative staff and launch several campaigns aimed at furthering
and growing the PCTA.

I think it's OK to ask how your donations are being used and
investigate is a productive thing. It's your money and you have a
right to how you spend it. That usually includes not just assuming
that your dollars are being spent wisely but not just assuming that
your dollars are being spent poorly. A rational examination is never a
bad thing.

In that spirit and in response to Charles wondering why he has gotten
a knee-jerk response, I would say that one knee-jerk response begets
another and in almost all cases it never is productive (see below).
Everyone just needs to take a deep breath, and if you decide to no
longer contribute to the PCTA, more power to you. You can always still
work for the trail crews (that yes, donations help fund) and directly
put blood, sweat and in some cases tears to the trail we all love.

-Shian / Barrel Roll

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Charles Doersch