[pct-l] Backpack

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 16:31:29 CST 2011

I did the PCT twice with the Golite Jam2 backpack (26 oz).  Pros: it fit me well, perfect size, and decently lightweight and simple design.  Cons: I am on the thin side at 28-29 inch waist, and the waist band does not tight up on my waist, so the backpack is 50/50, weight on hips vs. shoulders, but during thru hiking it's more weight on the shoulders than the wasit, which is not good (leaving me with headaches and sore neck).  I fixed this problem completely by taking scissors to the waist band, and cutting out a stip so I tightens just fine now.  2nd: the water bottle holder is too small/short, so an empty or nearly emply 1L Nalgen size waterbottle keeps popping out over and over.  I hate this.

On other hikes I've used lighter packs, like the Gossamer Murmr, which is only 7 oz, but during only the 3rd hike the straps broke.  The sternum strap broke apart simply becasue I took a breath in.  And the waist strap separated from the backback for no reason.  It is so thin that it easily rips.