[pct-l] Crossing river suggestions

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Nov 17 20:37:46 CST 2011

In high snow years, many people find the Kathoola KTS crampons to be
great. They strap on over your shoes. Kathoola microspikes are
another option. I'd go with the KTS if possible. Microspikes would be
fine in a low/ordinary snow year.

I didn't bring an ice axe because I didn't know how to use one. I
hiked in 2008, an ordinary snow year, and didn't feel an ice axe was
necessary.

For river crossings what you end up doing is just walking through in
your shoes. You can't keep your feet dry through the Sierras because
the whole trail is underwater in places. It just becomes impossible
and even if you could make the effort, the return on your investment
in time and effort just isn't worth it. If you wear breathable mesh
running shoes, water will just rush right out and your feet will feel
dry enough in a few minutes. Wet feet turn out to be no trouble at
all once you've already put 700 miles of hiking on them. In fact,
it's great to finally have clean feet for a while.