[pct-l] Crampon/Microspike use

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Nov 16 16:37:59 CST 2011

Seriously, folks, this is no joke. Ever tried walking across an ice arena in trail runners?

The main thing, here, is that you find out what "works" for you and your style of snow-hiking. First, you have to realize that on snow you no longer can "push" off your toes when walking forward. You'll slip. To a degree, you walk flat-footed to ensure that you do not slip. Thus, the better word for walking on snow isn't "pushing," rather "placing." Keep in mind that on a trail like the Pacific Crest in the sierra, the trail is rarely flat and almost always on an incline, up, down, or sideways such that making good, level foot placements is crucial to maintaining your balance. Just go out this winter on a ski hill and try it out for yourself (using the footwear you plan on snow-hiking in on your thru).

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150