[pct-l] Deep Creek Detour

Katie Muilenburg katiedm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 11:02:00 CST 2011

Dan,

When I went through the Deep Creek area this spring, I took the detour for
the first half, and then PCT for the second half of Deep Creek.  Everyone I
talked with at the halfway point that had taken the PCT (and not the
detour) up to that point said there was absolutely nothing in the way of
bad trail.  After I got on (near the hot springs) and headed north, there
was a slide, but it was easily passable on foot.  I did far scarier things
at other points on the trail that were not closed and detoured.  We seemed
to think the trail closure for this slide was more for horses, which would
have had a hard time crawling over it.  For people, it was fine, just a
quick 20 second scramble.  The slide is located near the north end of the
Deep Creek Canyon, just a bit south of the big river ford.  The miles all
run together, so it's hard to say exactly where.  That was my experience in
May.