[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 47, Issue 6

Annie Mac mac5attack at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 6 12:29:36 CST 2011

Well I hate to be the negative nancy here, but I hated my Contrail. I ended up swapping mine out 300 miles in.  I know a lot of people enjoyed theirs, but I also know of a lot of people that hated them as much as I did.  Make sure that you really want this tent, and are willing to use 47 guylines to make it tight.  I found it was too much of a hassle and wasn't what I wanted.  It was super spacious, and the front pole was never an issue, but I found that it was very difficult to pitch it so that it would remain waterproof.  And there was always a lot of condensation.  For those that kept theirs for the whole trail, it seemed to hold up fine from wear and tear, but always use a ground cloth.

 I would strongly suggest checking out the Rainbow design instead and modify it so that you can use your poles to make it free standing.  You will have more options, and find it much less of a hassle.

Annie