[pct-l] Theodore Solomons Trail

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu May 26 11:56:06 CDT 2011

I hiked on part of the Solomons trail last June.  There was solid snow
from about 8200' and up on June 20.  Part of the trip involved heading
south from Clover Meadows just outside the Ansel Adams Wilderness.  Be
aware.

The trail has been abandoned for at least a decade - maybe longer.
Dropping down into and then up out of the San Joaquin River Canyon is an
exercise in route finding.  The best part of the trail is the very solid
bridge over the river.  The trail south of the river is almost as bad.

The trail out of the river actually took me through a 50' patch of
poison oak.  I spent an hour walking up and down the river in the
quarter mile long valley before admitting to myself the most logical
place to go was through the poison oak.  You get used to hiking with
your eyes 50' ahead, looking for vestige of a trail.

This is not an easy way to avoid snow.  It's serious route finding in
forest.  I am writing because the post below mentions the california
riding and hiking trail.  This is the same as the Solomon's trail.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD