[pct-l] Snow Axe

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Thu May 26 09:08:25 CDT 2011

In late July 1998 I went over Mather Pass. 1998 was also a high snow year. The two of us with ice axes and crampons cut trail for the rest of our group that only had trekking poles. The north side was still slick ice at 1 pm. Several trekking poles were broken stopping slips. An ice axe made a good rope anchor to lower packs over the cornice. We saw few on the trail and all had axes.

The answer is, do YOU need one? I've done crazy things without one when younger and invicinble, now I'm more cautious.

AsABat
PCT Water Reports SoCal http://pct.4jeffrey.net
Send water updates to water at 4jeffrey.net

Brock Dallman <brock.dallman at gmail.com> wrote:

Hey, just wondering if a snow axe is necessary in the Sierras (Mt. Whitney/Forester Pass/Sonora Pass ect..) if I start Northbound from Kennedy Meadows around the 10th of July._____________________________________________