[pct-l] SOBO hiker: Hart's pass?

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Wed May 25 13:01:51 CDT 2011

I am not a hiker and don't do any of the trails. All I can pass on is what
other hikers and the SNOTEL site tells me. Everything you all do depends on
the weather. We have had a couple years in the last 8 years that have ended
up with early deep snow that the NOBO have been stopped dead at Snoqualmie
and Steven's. One year everyone was cut off by Sept 25th here. One year we
had 3 groups of 4-5 each have a terrible time getting north from here to the
border. The main roads are kept fairly clean but you get up in the back
woods and the DOT trucks don't clear them because there is very little
traffic. This year is going to be a hard year for SOBO. This is not a walk
in the park. Deep snow, lots of downed trees, hard to follow the PCT trail
and the chance of ending up in trouble and expecting others to put their
lives on the line to come find you.....if they can. Winters are long and
hard (usually) up in the North Cascades. The Sierras are going to be a pain
this year, too. Not a perfect year for hiking.....especially SOBO.

PCT MOM