[pct-l] A plan for detouring around the Sierras

Meridith Rosendahl meridith.rosendahl at gmail.com
Mon May 23 13:28:28 CDT 2011

>>Due to a number of factors, I've decided to detour around the Sierras. <<

In 2010 there were a number of hikers who skipped the Sierras and started
south from Etna or Ashland.  They encountered deep snow and many miles of
tree blow-downs on the trail, hundreds of trees, many very large, to climb
over or around.  Some commented that they would have been better off staying
on the trail and not skipping ahead.

This year has been a big snow year in NorCal as well, more than last year,
and although I haven't heard yet about blow-downs, I'd expect there would be
a significant number.

If you plan on skipping ahead, think wisely about where to resume.

Piper's Mom