[pct-l] Attn. Thur Hikers

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri May 20 16:08:39 CDT 2011

That is really sad and awful news.

I was hiking in this area over the weekend and picked up a lot of
wrappers myself. Sometimes I picked up wrappers right in front of
other hikers. They looked freshly dropped. I don't know if it was the
hiker standing there who dropped it or not. I hoped I shamed him if
it was as I picked it up.

I remember when I started my first half of the PCT in 2008 there was
a lot of trash left behind by thru-hikers. I knew it was thru-hikers
because it was located in places nobody but thru-hikers would ever go
to and included pages from the data book. Whoever these litter bugs
are, they seem to poop out or change their ways after Section E.
Maybe they can't get out of the vortex of drinking in that section.
Maybe they are finally confronted by the larger group that forms in
that area and shamed. I don't have the Yogi guide so I don't know
what is written in it, but perhaps she could write a page on
littering and other trail etiquette issues if she doesn't already
have that. Seems nobody knows what the data book is anymore and
everyone uses Halfmile's maps and the Yogi guide. Maybe Halfmile
could put a message on some of the pages of his maps, too.

During my hike this weekend I saw a lot of bicycle parts and tracks
on the PCT. When it rained, the bicycle track marks became more
visible. It is obvious that the PCT is heavily used by bicycles as
well as motorcycles.