[pct-l] Castle Crags State Park To Close

Palomino palomino.pct at gmail.com
Thu May 19 07:40:53 CDT 2011

Carl wrote:
"Fees for campgrounds at state parks also cover rangers and interpretive
programs, maintenance of a huge tract of land well beyond the campground
boundary, and contribution to underused/underperforming/money-losing
parks--all burdens that operators of a private campground (or private
operators of a public campground) would not have."

Well said. Closing the parks may not save the state money, though.
Last year they briefly closed Fremont Peak State Park, a tiny park
near my town. They soon re-opened it, deciding that the costs of
repairing vandalism and removing marijuana gardens was more expensive
than keeping it open.

Castle Crags is well-used in the summer months. It will be a major
pain to patrol if closed. I hope the state changes their decision, not
only for our sakes, but for the local economy as well.

Jim Ostdick
Palomino
San Juan Bautista, CA