[pct-l] Castle Crags State Park To Close

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Thu May 19 02:11:31 CDT 2011

Many examples on the Northern Cal coast, like Patricks Point. I will agree that state park sites are usually more scenic. However, the costs of preservation etc should not be allocated to campers but to all users.

Last summer the KOA in Mt Shasta had a better deal than the nearby parks, and was quieter than Cattle Crags. We stayed at the state park while I was hiking but the KOA the last night for convenience (town food etc) and cost.

Carl Siechert <carlito at gmail.com> wrote:

Do you have any examples of a primitive state campground in close proximity to less expensive but nicer private CG?

Fees for campgrounds at state parks also cover rangers and interpretive programs, maintenance of a huge tract of land well beyond the campground boundary, and contribution to underused/underperforming/money-losing parks--all burdens that operators of a private campground (or private operators of a public campground) would not have.