[pct-l] What do you guys do for money?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed May 18 09:28:55 CDT 2011

Of all the crazy things for an English Lit/Art History major to go into, I
became a counselor at a boy's ranch, and eventually a probation officer
because they paid me to take kids backpacking.  Summers were Desolation
Valley and the winters were in back of Santa Barbara.  Being a messed up kid
myself, I loved the career.  Working with people is a great thing.  Doing it
in the wilderness is an even greater thing.  I still bump into those guys,
now in their 40's and 50's and it's always good.  The backpack trips loom
large in their otherwise really  messed up childhoods.  We were the first
healthy adults many had ever encountered.  The pay is good, just make sure
the agency you decide on runs some kind of wilderness program, or will let
you create one.  And after all those years, I still love art and lit.

Now I'm retired and hiking my ass off.  The rain has stopped and several of
us are going for a 22 miler today.

Just another crazy idea.

Shroomer