[pct-l] So you Think You're a Mountaineer?

Rod Belshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Mon May 16 18:07:10 CDT 2011

Some perspective...

Many mountain peaks in China are spiritual places, especially My Huashan,
often considered the holiest of the holy sites. It is not uncommon to find
elderly Chinese making a pilgrimage to these mountains.  Think about that!

Ned asked how this trail was created?  I don't know on this trail in
particular, but others I visited were created over lifetimes of Taoist or
Buddhist monks who literally hammered these trails into existence over
decades or centuries as part of their spiritual practice.

Interesting note:  did you notice the point in the trail where there are
locks on the chain?  It is called something like the golden lock pass, and
it good fortune to add a lock to the chain.

Another interesting note:  the videographer made a point of bypassing the
local who rented safety equipment.  That is best to check locally.  In some
cases, this is an unlicensed hustler trying to scam tourists. In other
cases, it is a member of a family who for generations have maintained the
trail and use the proceeds to continue their work.

Steady Sr