[pct-l] Backpack Packing strategies...

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu May 12 23:08:49 CDT 2011

Good evening, Glen,

I don’t think you’re confused – there shouldn’t be a proportional increase.
I believe this is because there are two contributors to energy consumption:
The energy for resting metabolism – which is approximately constant – and
the incremental load energy which increases approximately with the load
increase.

One way I look at it is to change the presumption from equal
speed/increasing load to equal load/increasing speed.  With a given load and
at very low speed – say, 0.0001 MPH – the energy cost per MPH will be huge
because of the constant resting metabolism vs. almost no speed.  As the
speed increases the metabolism energy will represent an ever smaller and
smaller percentage of the total energy requirement so the curve will become
non-linear.

I don’t usually work with the oxygen side of energy calculations; I work
with the fuel side in terms of Calories/day, i.e. metabolism, plus
incremental Calories/mile.  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=166338
The problem is I can only view fuel consumption on a loose, macro basis,
i.e. Calories/day over a long-term, while oxygen consumption can be measured
adequately in the lab in real-time.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09