[pct-l] detouring around the Sierras

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Mon May 9 20:21:00 CDT 2011

Evenstar,

Last year I was struggling with the same questions.  Some folks went north for awhile, but I don't think they had it any easier than those who just kept going northward.  Elevator ('06) urged me to keep on track and to do the Sierras when I got there.  I am glad he did, and glad I took his advice.  You will be, too.

I  left KM on 2 June.  My best advice is to not go north of Cottonw ood Pass (~mi 750) until you are part of a solid group, a team, that mutually pledges to stay together - for route finding, for stream crossings, for asce nding and descending passes, for reaching a group decision on daily strategies or resupply optioins .  Even if none of you are experienced mountaineers, the safety and judgment of the group will be much greater than that of any one individual.

It'll be a blast, and you won't belie ve the sense of accomplish when you get to Sonora or Echo.

Have a great hike.

Mango