[pct-l] big bear/arrowhead taxis?

Ate Tuna atetuna at gmail.com
Mon May 9 17:48:07 CDT 2011

I got another tip for hitching in Section C. If you're injured, don't hide
it.  The first time I hitching into Big Bear I tried my thumb until I was
shivering from standing in the cold.  Then I started walking to town...err,
limping. I got a ride before I made it another dozen steps.  The next time I
didn't even try the thumb.  I limped to the closest town to the Deep Creek
bridge.  One of the first vehicles that passed me took me not only to the
closest town, but all the way to San Bernardino.  I don't know if this would
work as well for you since I was the recipient of an incredible amount of
trail magic during my abbreviated 300 miles on the trail, and I hope that
you don't suffer an injury that causes you to limp to town.

Now if you were in Section B...  I picked up a very lost hiker this weekend
on the paved portion of Chihuahua Valley Road before the start of the 6 mile
dirt road to Mike Herrera's house.  The poor guy took a wrong turn and then
started bushwhacking while following the power lines.  Having lost the page
of his Halfmile maps for this area, he had little idea where he was and was
walking towards Anza when I found him.  But...uh...I don't suggest getting
crazy lost either!

--
Sir Mix-a-lot