[pct-l] Early Start in the Sierras

Nate Shoemaker shoemaker.nate at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:51:17 CDT 2011

Hello,

 I know this has been a hot topic of discussion recently and I didn't want
to ruffle any feathers, just wanted some honest advice and suggestions.

 Let me explain my situation, my friend and I have about 6 weeks available
to spend on the PCT this summer, unfortunately that time is early May to
late June, and neither of us have a great desire to hike the Southern
California section of the trail, although at this point it seems that that
might be the only section we can reasonably hike due to weather conditions.
Right now we are thinking of starting the last part of section F from
Highway 58 on May 9th and hiking north from there, which could put us at
Kennedy Meadows around May 20th. Both of us have done a fair amount of
hiking and my hiking partner is an experienced rock and ice climber, but
neither of us have really done any mountaineering. We are young and
athletic, but we aren't stupid and we know our limits and are fairly
cautious individuals, we might be crazy, but we're not stupid. I was
wondering if it is even realistic to try to traverse the Sierras this early,
and how technical the ascents and descents might be? What type of gear would
you expecting as necessary for the ascents and descents, are we talking full
out climbing-crampons and ice axes? Traction devices(microspikes) or can we
get away with heavily-lugged boots? Also would you recommend snow shoes for
the flatter terrain?

I sincerely appreciate your time and any suggestions you might be able to
make.

-Nate