[pct-l] trail angels

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed May 4 13:29:42 CDT 2011

I remember hiking in Washington in 2005 and crossing a dirt road.  It
was one of those times of the day when the grade, mood and strength all
matched.  As I got to the road there sat two people with a cooler.  I
slowed down and said hello and smiled and didn't stop.  The man asked if
I wanted something to drink.  I thanked him, but no, as I walked by.
His wife said, "are you sure?"  There was such a look on her face I
stopped and we chatted for 2 minutes or so as I downed the beer and felt
funny from it.  Nice people who apparently do this frequently.

I guess I'd not met "trail angels" before on any of my section hikes.  I
felt a little rude - wrong time of day for me to stop.  Wrong time of
day to drink a beer...

Jeff