[pct-l] IDEAS on what stove to use when cooking for 4

Gary Schenk gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Tue May 3 22:44:04 CDT 2011

On 5/3/2011 3:22 PM, Charles Doersch wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Since there's four of us in my group next year, we've presumed the MSR canister would be our quickest, hottest, most efficient way to heat water.
>
> I've read some advice that alcohol-burning stoves might not work particularly well for four guys together (quantity of water being heated, etc.)-- but I'm wondering what your experience has been.
>
> Of course, availability of the canisters at stores along the trail could be a problem. Is it an important problem?
>
> We have had enough experience cooking over wood-flames (chaparral flames, dried cow dung flames, etc.), that we thought of utilizing that as a fall back or regular alternative to the MSR canister.
>
> Thoughts?

Open fires outside developed campgrounds will be illegal in a lot of
California. As you hike through miles of burnt forest you'll understand
why. The chaparral community goes up in flames amazingly fast,
especially with the wind prevalent in the desert mountain sections.

Lighten Up claims to have gotten the last gas canister in Big Bear.

Gary