[pct-l] IDEAS on what stove to use when cooking for 4

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 18:12:44 CDT 2011

Charles wrote:

Since there's four of us in my group next year, we've presumed the MSR
canister would be our quickest, hottest, most efficient way to heat water.

I've read some advice that alcohol-burning stoves might not work
particularly well for four guys together (quantity of water being heated,
etc.)-- but I'm wondering what your experience has been.

If you're cooking for four people all at once (i.e. one large pot with four
servings) then yes, an alcohol stove isn't going to be real great for that
because it just doesn't put out the quantity of heat you'll need.  A more
powerful stove (canister, white gas, etc.) would be a good choice.
(Disclaimer, I haven't actually tried cooking for four on an alcohol stove
so this advice is just what I've heard.)

However . . . you might consider how tightly you want to tie your group
together.  If you're sharing gear among four people, like one stove for the
group, then you have few options if one person wants to go ahead of the
group, or another person wants to lag behind, or a person or two has to
leave the trail.  Carrying one stove for four people is probably the most
efficient in terms of weight but it's not efficient in terms of your range
of choices.  You might consider equipping each person so that he or she can
be self-sufficient if desired.  Not saying that you have to go that route,
but it's something to think about.

Eric