[pct-l] Lugging Water

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Tue May 3 10:19:06 CDT 2011

---- Charles Doersch <charles.doersch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, everyone.
>
> @ Goodness: I've ordered Yogi's -- been waiting for it to be delivered for
> quite awhile. Hope nothing's amiss.
>
> I've been reading the _Southern California: Pacific Crest Trail_ by
> Schifrin, et al. I just realized I've been conflating "Water Access with
> "Resupply Access" -- that's where I saw the larger mileage.
>
> Well, that solves much!
>
> Yep -- I've been wondering about the Nalgene Canteen -- the MSR DromoLite --
> the Platypus. Different weights. Different reviews. Some leak -- for some
> folks. Some don't.
>
> We generally drink water untreated -- but we try to be smart (bold, not
> reckless) about where we pull the water from. At my age and given how many
> places I've drunk water from, I apparently have resistance to lots of stuff
> that naturally occurs in surface water. But some of the photos of water
> tanks in So. Cal. -- stock tanks -- looked iffy. So may bring a little
> Clorox with me for those.

I always carry a filter. Don't always use it. But some of the tanks and guzzlers are kind of rank. You'll need more than pills for those, you'll need to screen out the floaties and dead coyotes and mice as well.

The ultralights will say the filter is too heavy, but I compensate by not carrying a smartphone, GPS, batteries and solar charger.