[pct-l] Lugging Water

Cosmic Cat cosmic.cat144 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 08:13:28 CDT 2011

Hi Charles.

As far as I can remember,  the maximum waterless stretch on the pct is just
over 30 miles. This happens twice: kelso valley in socal and the Hat Creek
Rim in norcal.

Both sections have well maintained caches and kelso valley has fairly
reasonable off trail sources. I was fine with 1.5 gallon capacity for the
whole trail.

Where are you getting your info? Yogi's Guide is a good place to start.

Goodness
On May 3, 2011 5:10 AM, "Charles Doersch" <charles.doersch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We're a family of four guys through-hiking next year. We have heaps of
experience in all sorts of adventure travel -- but the PCT will be new.

> Question? What's the common wisdom on how best to lug water between
reliable water sources in Southern California?

> I know about "cameling up" -- and we've done that (golly, in the Sahara
actually -- traveling with Tuareg camel caravans through bandit territory)--
but I see stretches of, oh, 68 miles at one point between sources (just
picking one of the distances at random) -- so carrying enough water for four
men for that many miles will involve some heft. (And I'm not bringing the
camel, trust me.)