[pct-l] Two Hikers Rescued on San Jacinto

PCT List pctlist at gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:02:22 CDT 2011

Choosing an artificial start date a year in advance and calling it
"Annual Day Zero" as the ADZ does without knowledge of future trail
conditions IS irresponsible.

Suggesting a March start date in one of the heaviest snow years on
record IS irresponsible.

I am ill-equipped to make judgements on the intelligence of the hiking
community. From your statement you seem to be the authority on that as
well.

-postholer

Greg Hummel writes:
It seems that you are implying that just because someone suggests a
particular starting date, that the aspiring hikers have no
intelligence to judge their own skills and strategy whether to follow
the suggested date or modify to their particular skill set. I think
you under-estimate the intelligence of the aspiring thru-hikers and
are omitting the plentiful caveats that Ned has made to his advice. We
are all ultimately responsible for our actions!