[pct-l] Rope for spring stream crossings

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Mar 31 17:05:19 CDT 2011

On Mar 31, 2011, at 8:10 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Yes, and unbuckle you hip and chest straps so you can get out of
> your pack
> in a real knock down situation.  Your pack can easily drown you.

Except that if you have a bear canister in your pack, leave yourself
all strapped in. The bear can floats and so will you! I know, because
I swam with my pack on fully strapped in and fully loaded. The bear
can was like a bobber and I rowed myself to shore.

I break this rule even without the bear can. I'd rather have a steady
load than one that might slip and throw me off balance because it's
not strapped on. Quick release buckles can be easily snapped off
should I fall.

Also, I think it was Johnathon Ley's PCT Journal where I saw a
picture he took of a creek he could not cross. He took the picture in
the evening and then again the next morning. It was significantly
lower with new rocks showing for hopping across.