[pct-l] Keeping in touch without a cellphone

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 15:21:13 CDT 2011

A cell phone actually turned out to be very handy on trail.  I never turned
it on unless I needed to call someone, or was in town where I could recharge
it.  But for contacting family when in town, or contacting trail angels from
the trail for a pick up and a meal, it was invaluable.  The airlifts of Half
Oz, from Forester, and Calorie from Kearsarge were both orchestrated with
cell phones.  Someone was able to get cell service on Forester, and Ned's
phone worked on Kearsarge.

I think they are worth the weight, and I'm a technophobe, but only because
I'm just too damn dumb to operate anything more serious than a cell phone.

Shroomer