[pct-l] ice axe

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 01:12:53 CDT 2011

It all depends on the storms and melting over the next month.  Last year a
number of us ended up loaning or borrowing ice axes for the San Jacintos as
there was a lot of snow.  Some folks hadn't thought they would need them,
and found that they did.  Others of us jumped forward and hiked the deserts
first, and loaned our axes to the folks attempting the San Jacintos.  When
we came back three weeks later, nothing had melted off, and the most
dangerous snow I encountered on the entire trip, including 4 weeks in the
Sierra, was Fuller Ridge in the San Jacintos.  That was really icy, and
scary when we hiked through it.  Many chose to road walk the area.

To be on the prudent side, send them to Paradise Cafe, or Idyllwild, and
just bounce them forward if they aren't needed.

Shroomer