[pct-l] SPOT messenger vs McMurdo PLB

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 20:41:30 CDT 2011

Dianne,
It is a choice.
MendoRider

________________________________
From: Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes <diane at santabarbarahikes.com>
To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Sent: Mon, March 28, 2011 5:54:52 PM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] SPOT messenger vs McMurdo PLB

Those of us who disagreed with the statement that people would be
foolish not to bring a spot are not saying the opposite is true, that
you are foolish if you do bring one. There's just a sense that a
subtle mandate appears with every new gadget that even has the
appearance of offering some sort of emergency, lifesaving capability.

It's funny how the opposite mandates never occur. Someone has a SPOT
and they still get hurt or killed we don't tell people they'd be
fools to bring one. We instead invent even more gadgets.

It should be a choice.
Diane/Piper
On Mar 28, 2011, at 4:04 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> It may sound hypocritical but I agree with everyone.  In response to
> Hillary, I guess my response is that I am not as hardcore (I would
> accept a
> life saving heli) but, really the only reason why I will have it is
> because
> my mom said, "I will be much less stressed for the next 5 months if
> you let
> me buy you this expensive toy" given the circumstance my response
> was a
> semi-reluctant yes.  Although I am also funding the trip by my own
> work and
> savings, there is something to be said for helping people who got
> me to
> where I am feel as good about it as I do.  I guess because I am
> 99.99% sure
> I will not even touch the thing, if I do end up getting it, I'll
> call it my
> sentimental item for the trip, maybe put an 'I <3 mom' sticker on
> it for
> good measure.
>
> -toby

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: