[pct-l] Pillow

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 26 14:56:03 CDT 2011

Good afternoon, David,

A 2.4-liter Platypus sack inside a ditty-bag and used as a pillow works
fine, except if the air is cool and here is significant water still in the
sack.  Then it may be too cold for comfort.  In the deserts, however, it can
be helpful.

Ants can be troublesome if care isn’t taken selecting a campsite.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=167391  I’ve seldom been bitten by
ants, but I object to them crawling around inside my bag and tickling me.  To
me, the joy of sleeping out under the stars is full compensation for abiding
a few ants.  Even in the rare instance that I have to use my tarp I pitch it
with one end well off the ground, or open-sided like a lean-to.  I like to
be able to see out and listen to the night sounds; guessing what it is
that’s scurrying around on some nightly business.  On a still night a mouse
sounds like a deer, and a deer sounds like a band of elk.

Mosquitoes are commonly pesky until the air gets cool around 10:00-midnight,
so I wear a head-net till they give up.  Being old with significant
high-frequency hearing loss I usually don’t hear their whining.  I’ve never
been troubled by scorpions or spiders at night, and ticks only seem to be
around while I’m walking.

I’ve never had a flea-bite on the trail, at least not that I know of;
however I once did get about 50 flea-bites between San Francisco and
Portland.  They were from varmints in the seat cushions of a well-known
commuter airline.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09