[pct-l] Garmin GPSMAP 60C Sx

Halfmile list at lon.net
Fri Mar 25 16:16:10 CDT 2011

Sam,
The best GPS maps for most hikers are the Gamin Topo US West 24 K DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-MapSource-Topographic-Washington-California/dp/B001RYFYYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301086766&sr=8-1

I would only try the free map route if you are very computer and GPS
savvy and really short on funds. I hope this doesn't sound rude...but
if someone has to ask, the custom maps probably are not for them.

See my setup guides here:

http://www.pctmap.net/gps/index.html

Also check out the custom overlay PCT maps at the bottom of this page:

http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/trackdl.html

The custom over maps just show the PCT and are designed to overlay on
top of other topographic maps. Newer GPS's like the Garmin Dakota
don't usually need these because they can display my large track files
of the PCT sections. The Map60 CSx and Etrex HCx series don't support
large track files, so you can get similar results on your GPS map
screen with the custom map overlays.

-Halfmile