[pct-l] Food Bags

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Mar 25 10:02:44 CDT 2011

Good morning,

My food is usually carried in two SilNylon sacks or, when required, in the
bear ‘can.  Rarely, I carry a Ursack in areas where bears can be marginally
pesky, such as between Echo Summit and Sierra City.  I’ve never had lil'
critters try to get into my food when it’s lying on the ground at the head
of my bed -- and that’s while sleeping under the stars.

Someone recently asked about choosing a campsite:  I try to avoid well-worn
sites for several reasons, one of which is that’s where the lil’ critters
seem to gather due to the food people drop or leave laying around.

I like to leave the larger sites to people using a tent or a group of tents.
Since I usually camp alone and under the stars my “campsite” needs only to
be a reasonably flat and level spot 2’ wide and 7’ long.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09