[pct-l] 10 essentials

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 23:53:37 CDT 2011

I long ago gave up on the "essential list".... because at this point,
everything in my bag is essential. I cannot think of a single item in
my pack that is not essential.

Ok, just to be honest with myself.. I just looked at my list... one
thing... my spork. I suppose I could use a stick to stir with and than
just drink-style whatever I am having... and I suppose some out there
would argue that the pillow could be replaced with some clothing, but
I tired for two years to get the perfect pillow made out of gear
already being carried, and nothing worked, so, while it does add 3
ounces, I have a hard time not considering it an essential item -
peaceful sleep is priority #2. (not hurting myself is priority #1)

Total pack weight: 6.64 lbs.

In my backpack:  (25 items)

ZPacks Hexamid Solo Cuben Fiber Tarp w/beak
ZPacks HexaNet Solo Bug Shelter
8 stakes + cf bag
Gossamer Gear Thinlight Insulation Pad 1/8"
Montbell U.L.Super Spiral Down Hugger #3 + cf bag
Exped Air Pillow
GoLite Chrome Dome Umbrella
Outdoor Research Helium Rain Jacket
Montbell Tachyon Wind Jacket
Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka
Darn Tough Merino Wool 1/4 Sock Cushion
PossumDown Gloves
Backpacking Light Ultralight Mosquito Headnet
Maps & References
Aquamira Water Treatment
iPhone 4 (doubles as camera)
Photon Micro-Light II LED
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic
TP/Sanitizer+cf bag
toothbrush/paste
Medication+1Aid
Spare Glasses + case
Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spork
MSR Titan Cup
Esbit Titanium Foldable Stove + screen

Daily wear:

Montbell Dynamo Wind Pants
Patagonia Capilene 3 Bottom
ExOfficio Men's Give-N-Go Boxer Brief
Mountain Hardwear Wicked Lite Double T-Shirt
Patagonia Capilene 3 Crew Top
Darn Tough Merino Wool 1/4 Sock Cushion

Gear:

ZPacks Blast 26