[pct-l] 10 essentials

Kevin Renfrow kevinrenfrow at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:31:18 CDT 2011

Regarding Eric's message, you are right in saying that it was
developed by experts for someone to survive in the worst, but that is
only true if you have the knowledge to use each item correctly and in
the right circumstance.

I think it is very helpful for people to think of the 10 essentials
list as a purpose list like Bill mentioned. Then you can more easily
understand why each item is listed as an essential and take an
appropriate item for you and your particular trip. What works for me
might not work for you, but understanding why the experts thought a
particular item was essential will go a long ways in finding and
taking the proper gear that you will take and use when needed.

HYOH, and the rest.

-Kevin

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Bill Burge <bill at burge.com> wrote:

> I think it is important to think of the "10 Essentials" lists more from a purpose than a shopping list.
>
> Rain gear?      Tarp is fine, it's really "shelter from the elements"
> Matches?                Fire.  I carry a lighter.  I also carry a few, maybe 6, "super matches"
> Knife?          Sharp edge, but I would like it to be sturdy enough to help with shelter
> headlamp/flashlight?    Light.  I always have a Photon button light, and the clip that allows it to be a headlamp.
> 1st aid kit?    Clean a wound, protect a wound, stop bleeding.  A few gauze pads in a zip and some duct tape.
> sunscreen?      Solar protection.  I always have an spf45 chapstick.  I can rub it on my face if I feel the need.
> compass?                Direction. I wear a watch, mostly with an analog face (two hands), and a stick and I can find general N
>                        (I usually have a "button compass" in my pocket)
> whistle?                Signaling.  I carry a whistle, small, flat, bright yellow.  It's on a cord with the button light.
>
> Many of these are in my pocket. Other than the pocket knife, chapstik, whistle and light; the matches, button compass, light clip, two spare coin cells taped together and med card;  are in a small extra tough ziplock bag in my pocket.
>
> For the trail, I might put the ziplock in my pack hip belt pocket.
>
> BillB
>

> On Mar 24, 2011, at 9:26 AM, AsABat wrote:
>
>> There are many ten essential lists. Mine (and maybe most) include water.
>>
>> Don't think of sunglasses and sunscreen, think of sun protection. It could include a hat or bandanna. But not enough people use good sunglasses outside. Even moderate sun can cause future eye problems like cataracts. (My eyes are worse than that, hence my name.)
>>
>> The list of for general hikes  not overnights do so sleeping bags etc are not on it.
>>

>> AsABat
>> PCT Water Reports SoCal http://pct.4jeffrey.net
>> Send water updates to water at 4jeffrey.net
>>
>> "Devon Taig" <devon.taig at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The ten so-called essentials list is below along with some comments. Of
>>> the
>>> ten essentials, I bring only map,and compass all the time.  There are
>>> five
>>> others (sunglasses,extra food,rain-gear,flashlight,first-aid kit) that
>>> are
>>> often but not alway in my backpack. Three I don't bring at all
>>> (knife,matches (I use lighter instead),firestarter (I carry a stove)).
>>>
>>> 1) *Map *- Yep. This is a must have
>>> 2) *Compass *- Yes for me, but I'm surprised how many hikers I see who
>>> don't
>>> carry one or don't know how to use it properly (it does more than just
>>> point
>>> north you know).  If you can't take a bearing with your compass, it's
>>> probably not worth a whole heckuva lot.
>>> 3) *Sunglasses & sunscreen* - Hardly essential.  I suppose if you're
>>> hiking
>>> naked on a glacier in July.  I rarely take sunscreen as I'm naturally
>>> pretty
>>> tan and never burn.  Sunglasses on snow only.
>>> 4) *Extra food* - Food yes, Extra? Not so much.  I'm fat enough that I
>>> can
>>> go a couple of days if really needed with no food.  On a 10 day
>>> backpack
>>> trip, I bring 10 days worth of food.  But really, that does qualify as
>>> *extra
>>> *food.  Even in the Sierra, you really are never more than a a few days
>>> hike
>>> from a trailhead.
>>> 5) *Raingear/extra clothes* - Extra clothes, yes. Raingear? Maybe.
>>> Depends
>>> on where you are.  It's definitely not an essential everywhere
>>> particularly
>>> if you have a tent,tarp,and sleeping bag (which strangely aren't on the
>>> list).
>>> 6) *Headlamp/flashlight* - Been many times when I didn't have one.  If