[pct-l] R

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 20:07:03 CDT 2011

I've got a different take on the Compressor than Diane.  I used that jacket
in 2009.  Since then I've obtained the Montbell down sweater to which, in my
opinion, the compressor is most comparable.  I really like the Compressor
and I continue to use it around town a lot.  It's pretty much my go to
jacket.  In fact, I got a comment  from my wife because she thinks it's
beginning to look a little ratty.  I just like the jacket.

I know that you asked Diane.  You can tell me to mind my own business if you
want, but I'd keep the Compressor rather than the fleece.  Here's why:

1. Fleece is bulky, the Compressor does just that; it compresses.  Not as
much as down, but still.

2. Fleece doesn't offer much in the way of wind protection; you have to use
your shell in order to have warmth when it's windy.  That makes a poncho
less of an acceptable option, at least to me.

3.  Even compared to a Montbell down sweater ( at 7 oz for L ), I believe
that the Compressor is warmer.  True, it weighs about 5 oz. more ( and I'm a
real gram weenie - so if you saw my gear list you'd know for me this is
saying something ) but the cuffs cinch tight as does the waist and even the
collar ( with that little cord pull in the back of the collar),  It has two
handwarmer pockets as well as an inside pocket.  I think that these extra
features go a long way to explain the weight disparity between these two
items.

4.  If money is no object, you could explore a hooded Flash from Western
Mountaineering; it comes in between the two in terms of weight, has that
great hood, and two hand warmer pockets, which I think the compressor
actually surpasses.  But then again, you might spend time worrying about
your gear getting wet and until you feel comfortable independently assessing
your gear, I'd go with what makes you feel safe.

5.  You can always take both and mail one or the other home when at Mt.
Laguna, Warner Springs or even Kick Off for that matter