[pct-l] First night out

Ellen Shopes igellenig at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 09:51:22 CDT 2011

I agree with what others have said about hiking during daylight; the only
folks we saw were Border Patrol.  Being from southern AZ, we deal with
border crossers all the time.  Best advice: don't camp anywhere near water.
Any water source is precious and well-known and a magnet for all kinds of
people.  Second word of advice: don't camp along the trail.  While you'll
miss out on some nice improved spots along the trail, again there is a
reason they look used.  Find a spot a good 100 feet away, preferably not
visible once it's dark.
Don't get paranoid.  There're lots of border crosses out there, but only a
fraction of them are the bad guys.
Elderly Ellen