[pct-l] Small scale maps

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Sat Mar 19 15:48:06 CDT 2011

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 20:25:25 -0700
> From: PCT List <pctlist at gmail.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] Small scale maps? 66, 1:100K PCT overview maps in PDF
> format
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> Here are 66 free maps of the PCT at 1:100K scale created from USGS
> 30x60 minute GeoPDF maps.
>
> These maps have mileage/elevation every 2 miles and the highly
> detailed/informative postholer.com elevation profiles that everyone
> loves.
>
> I've excluded the 2,000+ way points found in the postholer.com data
> book as they completely obscure the trail at this scale. Download the
> maps here:
>
> http://postholer.com/transfer.php?type=1a
>
> You need to be registered at postholer.com. This link will redirect to
> MediaFire file hosting, as I did not want to burden the resources of
> postholer.com. It's an 85MB file, so beware.
>
> And that pretty much shot my day to hell...
>
> -postholer

As always - HalfMile - many thanks for your efforts. And not to diminish
your efforts, but to use the 1:24k topos as a basis, but simply printed them
at 1:80k - 1:100k I think one ends up with a more useful "backside" map [as
I posted before - I've enjoyed using your maps, but on the back of each one
I'm now printing a "context" map, but using the full content of the 1:24k
maps]. I've uploaded to our website an example of this
www.gmdr.com/PCTstuff/SectCa-O-1.jpg - this is what I print on the backside
of the first sheet of your calif section O map (I simply "print-to-fit from
IE). And if printed on a 1200dpi printer (I'm using a Brother 4040cdn),
generally even the finest detail is readable. [in the past I've been simply
printing directly onto the backside of the HM maps, but over time I'll be
producing a .jpg like in this example for each map and likewise uploading
them, so others can make use of the as they wish - simply said: I learned a
major lesson last year when I had to bail from O and didn't have sufficient
mappage - I'll never never make that mistake again, and likewise hope no
other PCT hiker has a similar experience.]

TheDuck